Monday, September 9, 2013

Oktoberfest at Snowbird

I hadn't been up to Snowbird since Mother's Day; suffice it to say the mountain looks a little different at the beginning of September. It shed its winter layer quickly at the end of the season, like an overeager frat boy streaking across campus. Now it's on the verge of erupting in a brilliant display of reds, oranges, and golds; fall is almost here. For those of us in Salt Lake that means a few things, the two most important in my mind: Oktoberfest and the impending ski season.

So this last weekend my dad drove down from Bozeman so he and I could hit up the 'fest (among other things). In addition to some amazing beers (I'm looking at you Black Bier and Punk'n from Uinta brewing) I got to pick up my season pass. Major stokage (that's a word) ensued as I put the shiny new pass in my purse and thumbed through my early season freebies. It's nice finally getting something tangible after giving the resort nearly $700 of my non-existent dollars (thank you credit card), and it definitely makes me even more excited for the mountains to turn white again (because apparently more excitement is possible).

Best part about it is it's not that long away, and I have a free night at the Cliff Lodge to use between now and then. If I'm lucky like last year I'll get a snowy day at the resort when no one's around. Sure, I can't ski, but I can cozy up by a fireplace, look out at the snow-covered slopes and think about how soon I'll be shredding down the steeps instead of chilling in the lodge.

Here's looking at you 13-14; I'm coming for you. Watch out. Keep up. Or get out of my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment