Monday, November 18, 2013

No More "Might Have Been"

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'” 
- John Greenleaf Whittier

After all the waiting, all the pining, all the complaining that made my non-skier friends want to (or actually) tell me to shut the hell up, ski season kicks off for me Wednesday at 9 am. I'd try to explain how incredibly freaking stoked I am, but I'll let the majority of the prior 73 posts speak to that, since we neither have time nor do I have the patience to try to put that into a single post. While it looks and feels far from winter down here in Salt Lake valley, Little Cottonwood Canyon (and the other, less cool one I suppose, but who really cares) has been getting snow and is ready to be shredded.

I'm entering this season with fairly lofty goals; for the first time I'm going to intentionally be working on hucking things, hitting much bigger lines (like the Big Couloir at Big Sky), and all around just skiing harder than ever before. The quote above really speaks to my feelings toward this season; as long as I stay safe, I'd rather try and fail than never try, and thus never know. 

So for those of you starting your seasons, keep that in mind. Stay safe, stay smart, but go into this season with the mindset that you'll have no regrets for lines untried, chances untaken, and beers unimbibed. It's winter folks, the best season for searching for the steeper side. Where will you begin the hunt?

2 comments:

  1. Quite inspiring if I do say so myself. Go get 'em killer, shred like none before.

    ReplyDelete