Thursday, December 5, 2013

GFAC 2014

So beyond excited right now: I will be presenting a workshop at a the Girls for a Change conference in Bozeman in April. Girls for a Change is a conference whose mission is “to empower girls to embrace their future, confident about their individuality, supported by friends, parents, and mentors and secure in their ability to lead and to achieve self-sufficiency, balance, fulfillment and success.” I had the pleasure of attending this conference when I was in high school; my workshops included making food in college and African drumming (I chose some random stuff). Honestly, I didn't take it seriously, instead treated it as a way to hang out with my friends (it was a Saturday, don't give me crap about skipping out of school or anything), but there were some really great workshops offered.

When I saw Thrive post that Girls for a Change was looking for workshop proposals I immediately jumped at the opportunity. Partly, this will be a great opportunity to practice public speaking in a non-science way. Partly, I just wanted to be able to sit down with some middle and high school-aged girls and give them some words of wisdom I wish I'd had at their age. And finally, it's a great chance to talk to girls about STEM careers. So I sat down and. . . had to actually come up with something to present.

Well I came up with a general idea, wrote out a basic proposal and waited. One of the great things about this conference is that the workshops are selected by the leader panel which is comprised of girls in high school who have previously attended the conference. So getting selected means that much more. 

Now I guess it's time to sit down and nail out the details. It's going to be so fun to do this, a great experience for me, and hopefully a great learning experience for those girls who come. Here's hoping I can give them a new perspective with which to look for their steeper sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment