Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 5 ('13-'14)

It seems I'm becoming a Wednesday morning warrior; of my 5 days on snow so far this year, 3 of those have been Wednesday mornings. That's why living in SLC rocks. Sure I have to work later, but is it worth it? Hells yeah. Today was a pretty perfect day too; it was hard to force myself onto Chickadee and back to the car.

I took off later than the other days, getting there about 8:40, but timing was absolutely perfect. I got to the tram dock when there was no line and got into line for first tram just as it was pulling into the bay. There were no clouds to be seen, temps were above zero for the first time in awhile, and it was absolutely gorgeous in the southern end of the valley (the inversion was chilling over downtown Salt Lake, but was leaving Murray and Cottonwood Heights alone). Best of all, the snow was FAST. The good powder was completely tracked out and/or windblown, except in the Cirque. I stuck to Chip's Run and the intersecting runs because (a) I have no clue where I'm going in the Cirque and didn't want to find myself stuck at the top of a mandatory air and (b) I prefer to play it safe when I have no edges, am skiing alone, and have to go to work in 2 hours. Fortunately, even though I live for powder, cruising groomers when there's no one around is a close second in my book. For the first time this season I really got to let it go, getting accidental air off rollers and just riding that edge of control all he way down (not literal edges; mine are still dull as shit).

Day 5 is going to be the last one for a couple weeks unfortunately. School/work and visitors are making me put that on hold. Lucky me though, day 6 and 7 will be up in MT at Moonlight. Stoked to go back to my home mountain and rip through the glades and hit up the ridge (pleaaaaaaaseeeeeee have snow up there). Headwaters is definitely the steeper side of Moonlight Basin and I want a piece of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment